DEPUY ASR Lawsuit Attorneys
DePuy Orthopaedics Inc., a division of Johnson & Johnson, manufactures hip replacement and hip resurfacing products. In Aug. 2010, DePuy announced that it was recalling two of its hip implant devices: the ASR XL Acetabular System and the ASR Hip Resurfacing System. Between 2005 and 2009, DePuy sold more than 93,000 of these systems worldwide. The recall came after years of complaints from doctors and patients regarding the product’s early failure.
The ASR XL Acetabular System is a hip socket and ball system that was used frequently in total hip replacement surgeries across the United States.
The ASR Hip Resurfacing System covers the ball of the femur with a metal cap and replaces the hip socket with a metal cup. This product has only been approved for general use outside of the United States.
Harm Caused by the ASR Systems
Complications from the DePuy ASR hip replacement systems have been caused by their metal-on-metal design. These hip implants can shed metal debris and ions into the body, which can damage the hip joint and cause pain and other symptoms, and may require surgery to repair. In most cases, the implant must be removed or replaced entirely. The metal ions can also enter the bloodstream and travel to various organs.
According to the 2012 Annual Report issued by the Australian Orthopaedic Association, the revision rate for the defective ASR systems is 44 percent after just seven years. Revision surgery to replace the ASR hip implant can be painful, expensive and risky. Patients who have suffered this type of damage due to ASR defects are entitled to compensation.
ASR cases are currently litigated in several coordinated proceedings, including the federal court ASR multidistrict litigation (MDL) proceeding in Ohio and the San Francisco Superior Court in California.
Lawrence Gornick of Kaiser Gornick LLP appointed to Plaintiff’s Steering Committee for DePuy Orthopedics ASR Hip Implants. Read More.
- FDA proposes a halt of all metal hip implant sales
- Britain Extends Monitoring for People With Metal Hips
- How safe are metal-on-metal hip implants?
DePuy Litigation Documents
- DePuy ASR PMCF Studies
- ASR Articular Surface Replacement risk evaluation
- Emails showing DePuy was aware of DePuy failures
- Johnson & Johnson email regarding ASR failure rate in Australia
- ASR implant failure results: tip of the iceberg
- Email regarding medical device design flaws in DePuy hip implants
- DePuy / Johnson & Johnson emails about ASR XL metal bearing failures
- Research fellow raises concerns that DePuy hip implants shed metal ions
- Johnson & Johnson internal emails call for the company to manage perceptions regarding failing ASR hip implants
- DePuy International Cancels ASR redesign
- DePuy International Research and Development Report
- Melbourne Doctor Upset by Defective DePuy ASR Hip Implant
- ASR hip implant surgeon review meeting
- ASR Sub Hemispherical Cup – J&J internal emails
- Internal J&J ASR Steering Committee email
- Depuy emails concerning ASR hip implant failures
- DePuy internal emails re: ASR Hip Implants
Contact Our Northern California Complex Litigation Law Firm
Attorneys at Kaiser Gornick LLP are actively involved in both the MDL and California ASR litigation. Lawrence J. Gornick of Kaiser Gornick LLP has been appointed to the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee and is Chair of the Plaintiffs’ Discovery Committee in the MDL. Read more. Mr. Gornick is also a member of the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in the California coordinated proceeding.
Explore your right to compensation by scheduling a free initial consultation with our California attorneys.
Contact us at (800) 824-8234 to speak with an attorney or schedule a free initial consultation online.