DEPUY HIP REPLACEMENT LAWYERS
Defective Medical Device Representation
DePuy Orthopedics Inc. manufactures products used in the process of hip replacement and hip resurfacing. In August of 2010, the company – which is a division of Johnson & Johnson – recalled two of its products: the ASR XL Acetabular System and the ASR Hip Resurfacing System, of which it sold more than 93,000 units worldwide. The recall came after years of complaints from doctors and patients regarding the early failure of the product.
The ASR XL Acetabular System is a hip socket that is frequently used in hip replacement surgeries across the United States.
The ASR Hip Resurfacing System covers the ball of the femur with a metal cap, and then replaces the hip socket with a metal cup. This product has only been sold and used outside of the United States.
Another DePuy product, the Pinnacle Acetabular Cup System, also uses this flawed metal-on-metal design and has experienced similar failure issues.
Harm Caused by DePuy Systems
DePuy hip replacement products use a “metal-on-metal” implant device, which many experts believe has a higher risk of generating metal debris. This debris can cause inflammation and other symptoms that are painful and may require surgery to repair. In some cases, the implant must be removed or replaced entirely.
In 2009, DePuy discontinued sales of these products, and later on advised doctors to discontinue implanting these devices. Implant failure had resulted in more cases of severe pain and difficulty walking. These implants were designed to last 15 years, but 12 to 13 percent of patients require a painful revision surgery within five years of implantation.
Lawrence Gornick of Kaiser Gornick LLP appointed to Plaintiff’s Steering Committee for DePuy Orthopedics ASR Hip Implants. Read More.
- FDA proposes a halt of all metal hip implant sales
- Britain Extends Monitoring for People With Metal Hips
- How safe are metal-on-metal hip implants?
DePuy Litigation Documents
- DePuy ASR PMCF Studies
- ASR Articular Surface Replacement risk evaluation
- Emails showing DePuy was aware of DePuy failures
- Johnson & Johnson email regarding ASR failure rate in Australia
- ASR implant failure results: tip of the iceberg
- Email regarding medical device design flaws in DePuy hip implants
- DePuy / Johnson & Johnson emails about ASR XL metal bearing failures
- Research Fellow raises concerns that DePuy hip implants shed metal ions
- Johnson & Johnson internal emails call for the company to manage perceptions regarding failing ASR hip implants
- DePuy International Cancels ASR redesign
- DePuy International Research and Development Report
- Melbourne Doctor Upset by Defective DePuy ASR Hip Implant
- ASR hip implant surgeon review meeting
- ASR Sub Hemispherical Cup – J&J internal emails
- Internal J&J ASR Steering Committee email
- Depuy emails concerning ASR hip implant failures
- DePuy internal emails re: ASR Hip Implants
Contact Kaiser Gornick LLP for Nationwide Representation
If you have experienced the early failure of a DePuy hip replacement device, you may be able to recover compensation for medical bills and other expenses. Contact the San Francisco Bay Area office of Kaiser Gornick LLP.
Contact us at (800) 824-8234 to speak with an attorney or schedule a free initial consultation online.